April 20, 2011

Twitching Tongues interview


Twitching Tongues are the bitter break-up and heart break band of decade. While they definitely fit under the umbrella of hardcore, their music sounds like no other band going. They play heavy as fuck yet melodic hardcore that they compare to Type O Negative. Sounds like Stone Temple Pilots to me but who's counting. They're embarking on a pretty extensive tour very soon with fellow Californians Soul Search, Expire and Minus, so check em out if they're in your town. This interview is with Colin, who sings in the band. And damn, that boy can sing.

How did the idea come about to put together a hardcore band with clean vocals
and other aspects that aren't too typical of what's popular right now?


We're all big fans of Type O Negative, Pantera and other stuff like that. "Twitching Tongues" itself is a song by a band called Only Living Witness, who you can also tell we're heavily influenced by. I also love R&B and all kinds of goofy shit that I get made fun of for liking, and I secretly try to draw as much as I can from that. Even in the riffs!

I'm really impressed with the vocals. Are you trained for that sort of thing or
are you wingin' it?


Thanks! I did musical theater when I was much younger up until high school; when I stopped and realized that everybody trying to do that took themselves way too seriously and only talked about "making it" and being a star. Idiots who'll later refer to high school as "the glory days" and force their failed desires onto their children. So I stopped singing pretty much up until we started this band. I had a hard time at first getting back into it and not sounding like a whale giving birth. Turned out well though and I think I'm back into knowing what I'm doing and managing my voice.

The West coast seems like a killer place for hardcore, what's it like in LA?
What bands are you guys tight with?


It is paradise. Last week there was a last-minute benefit show for a local hardcore kid who passed away, and over 250 people came out and all the money went to his family. I love California and that was one of the coolest things I've ever been apart of.
Southern California bands who everyone should check out: Downpresser, Minus, Xibalba, Soul Search, Rotting Out, Alpha & Omega, Take Offense, Sleep Walkers, Absolute Madness, Creatures, Cold Stare, Minority Unit, Retaliate, Fell To Low, Dirtworm, Blasting Concept, Horse Marriage.

I know Twitching Tongues shares members with Ruckus. Are any of you in any other
bands?


Keith plays bass in Creatures, Mike and Taylor are in a new band that is the best thing I've ever heard, and Taylor plays drums in a band named after something you hit with a hammer.

What's in the near future for Twitching Tongues?

We've got a 7" out right now on Photobooth Records and there's less than a dozen copies left to order, so grab one if you haven't! More importantly, we've got an LP entitled "Sleep Therapy" completely finished and recorded that we're waiting to release. We've got a full US tour in June/July with Expire, Minus and Soul Search, and you can catch us on Sound & Fury festival in July! And anybody in Europe reading this, we'll be back in October.

Anything thing else you wanna add?

Though we may not sound like and may not be referred to as a conventional hardcore band, we all love hardcore and appreciate it for everything it has done for us. My life would be so stupid without it.


Twitching Tongues on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment